Are you wondering how to clean a commercial dishwasher? Don’t you know where to start and what materials and equipment to use to clean your dishwasher? May your dishwasher not cleaning the dishes good cause of built up in your dishwasher, so you have to descale your commercial dishwasher. Don’t you know? You’re in the right place.
It may seem ironic that a kitchen appliance that cleans items daily would itself need cleaning. However, food scraps, grease, and soap scum build up inside your dishwasher with every cycle. Eventually, they will reach levels that prevent the dishwasher from doing its job properly.
Regularly cleaning your dishwasher will help keep it in good working order, while also ensuring your dishes come out sparkly clean every time you put on a load.
Believe it or not, cleaning a dishwasher is an easy task that doesn’t require any harsh chemicals. All you need is one cup of vinegar and another baking soda. These two ingredients will do most of the hard work for you.
How to clean a commercial dishwasher
Step1. Cleaning the wash cabinet
The wash cabinet is largely self-cleaning, provided that the correct amount of detergent is always used.
If, however, there are limescale or grease deposits in the cabinet, these can be removed with a special dishwasher cleaner.
Washing at low temperatures can allow germs and odors to build up inside the appliance.
To prevent this, run an intensive program with detergent after approx. 20 program cycles with low temperatures.
Step2. Cleaning the door and the door seal
1. Wipe the door seals regularly with a damp cloth to remove food deposits.
2. Wipe food and drink residues off the dishwasher door.
These surfaces are outside the wash cabinet and are not reached by water from the spray arms.
Step3. Cleaning the front of the dishwasher
Note: Remove any soiling immediately. Otherwise, it might become impossible to remove and could cause an alteration or discoloration of the surfaces.
Clean the front of the appliance with a clean sponge, liquid dish soap, and warm water. Then wipe dry with a soft cloth.
To clean, you can also use a clean, damp microfiber cloth without detergent.
Glass cleaners may be used to clean the exterior. However do not allow them to sit or “puddle”, this can cause damage to the surface. Remove the cleaner promptly.
Step4. Clean commercial dishwasher triple filter system
The triple filter system in the base of the wash cabinet retains coarse dirt from the suds solution, preventing it from reaching the circulation system and re-entering the cabinet through the spray arms.
Note: The dishwasher must not be used without all the filters in place.
The collection of coarse dirt may cause the filters to clog. The level of soiling and the time it takes before the filters need cleaning will vary depending on your household use.
The message Check filters will appear in the display after every 50 program cycles (factory default setting).
The filter check frequency can be set from 30 and 60 program cycles (see “Settings, filter check”).
1. Check the triple filter system.
2. Clean the triple filter, if necessary.
3. Confirm the message with the center button.
The last selected program is displayed briefly and the respective indicator light comes on.
After a short while, the estimated program time is displayed.
Step5. Clean commercial dishwasher filters
1. Turn the dishwasher off.
2. Turn the handle counter-clockwise to release the triple filter system.
3. Take the filter combination out, remove any coarse particles and rinse the filter well under running water. Use a brush if necessary.
Note: Make sure that when cleaning the filters, no coarse dirt falls into the circulation system, causing a blockage.
The cover must be opened to clean the inside of the filter:
- Push the clips together in the direction of the arrows, and open the cover.
- Clean all parts under running water.
- Close the cover so that the lock engages.
- Replace the triple filter so it lies flat in the base of the wash cabinet.
- Lock the filter by turning the handle clockwise, until the arrows point to each other.
Note: The triple filter system must be inserted correctly and locked. Otherwise, large particles could get into the circulation system and cause a blockage.
Step6. Clean commercial dishwasher spray arms
Particles of food can get stuck in the spray arm jets and bearings. The spray arms should therefore be checked regularly (approx. every4-6 month)
1. Turn the dishwasher off.
Remove the spray arms as follows:
2. Pull out the cutlery tray (if present).
3. Push the upper spray arm up to engage the inner ratchet and unscrew the spray arm.
4. Lift the middle spray arm to engage the ratchet and unscrew the spray arm.
5. Remove the lower basket.
6. Pull the lower spray arm firmly upwards to remove.
7. Use a pointed object to push the food particles that are stuck in the spray arm jets into the spray arm.
8. Rinse the spray arms thoroughly under running water.
9. Replace the spray arms and check that they rotate freely.
How to clean a commercial dishwasher with vinegar and baking soda
The Equipment and materials you will need to return your dishwasher to a state of pristine cleanliness include:
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 1 cup of baking soda
- Rubber gloves
Step1. Access the Dishwasher Drain
1. Remove the bottom rack to access the drain.
The drainage area is where you will notice the greatest build-up of gunk and grease, so you will want to wear your rubber gloves to clean it out.
2. Continued use of your dishwasher with a partially blocked drain could eventually damage the appliance. Blocked drains are also the most likely source of disgusting smells.
Step2. Run a Cycle with a Cup of Vinegar
1. Place a dishwasher safe container filled with one cup of vinegar on the upper rack and
2. then run a full cycle on an otherwise empty dishwasher.
Vinegar has many talents around the home, with one being a natural deodorizer, and another the ability to break through grease and grime.
If any grease or soap scum is lining the walls of your dishwasher, you can rely on the vinegar to cut through and dissolve it. Removing it now will stop it from making its way down to clog up the drain.
Vinegar’s ability to neutralize odors is another bonus for creating a sparkly clean dishwasher, which also doesn’t smell.
Once you have run one full cycle, you should be opening the door to a clean and fresh interior. Of course, you want to be thorough, so there’s still one more step to go.
Step3. Using Baking Soda to Finish the Job
Vinegar will do most of the dirty work, but baking soda will wipe out any lingering traces of odors.
1. Sprinkle your cup full of baking soda over the bottom of the dishwasher.
2. Close the lid.
3. Run a short cycle with hot water.
Stubborn odors that resisted the vinegar treatment should be wiped out by the baking soda. The short wash cycle will also take advantage of baking soda’s slightly abrasive nature by giving the walls a gentle scrub. Any lingering traces of grease and soap scum will be washed away.
Another way to clean the commercial dishwasher with baking soda:
you can try making a dishwasher bomb.
1. Mix 2 cups of baking soda and 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to make a paste.
2. form them into balls.
3. Place them on a sheet of parchment paper to dry for several hours.
4. Once they’re dry you can add them to the bottom of the dishwasher.
5. Run a short hot-water cycle
To help your dishwasher work at its best:
- Only run your dishwasher when it’s full, but try not to overpack it, or lay large dishes over the tops of plates and bowls.
- The soap suds will be able to do their best work if they can move in and around each dish. Thoroughly rinsing your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher will hinder their performance rather than improve it.
- Dishwasher detergent is designed to work on food and grease residue.
- If no grime is present on the dishes, there will be excessive levels of soap suds and foam, which will reduce the dishwasher’s efficiency.
How to descale a commercial dishwasher?
by scale we’re talking about limescale that builds up from minerals in your water these white buildups usually occur around the heating elements in the heated tank we will take you through how to do this Manually or if your machine has a descaling cycle for both options be sure to drain your machine.
before starting and starting with freshwater with no detergent if possible no matter if you have soft water or a softener the scale will still periodically build up warning review the SDS before using the descaler solution always wear the correct PPE including eyewear and gloves to minimize Contact.
Step1. Automatic descaling
1. Press “cycle” and “on” buttons at the same time until 77” is shown in the display.
2. Close the door to fill up with water then it prompts you to add the descaler.
The scale recommends 4 to 8 ounces per gallon for light to medium buildups and 8 ounces per gallon for heavy buildups.
3. Add about 56 fluid ounces or roughly half a gallon.
4. Run a short cycle.
the automatic cycle runs for 12 minutes and then shuts off.
5. Before putting back into operation drain and refill the machine with fresh water two times.
Step2. Manual descaling
If your commercial dishwasher does not have a delimiting cycle don’t worry we can still descale your machine to do this:
1. drain the wash water and refill with fresh water.
if possible it’s best to not add detergent.
2. before starting remove the pick-up tube from the container and run several cycles until it’s empty.
3. now that you have fresh water with no detergent pour in the correct amount of descaler.
4. Close the door to start the cleaning cycle and let the machine run for about 30 seconds to allow the descaler to coat the inside of the machine.
5. Open the door to pause the cycle and allow the surface to soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
this time allows for chemicals to start removing the scale.
6. Close the door and the rest of the cycle will wash away the limescale.
7. If you empty the chemical lines reinsert the pickup tube and either prime or run cycles until it fills back up with product.
8. For washing dishes you want to drain out the descaler solution then fill back up with water and then drain again to remove any residual.
9. For a heavy thick scale you might have to allow an extra soak with a spray bottle and remove with a brush.
How often should I descale a commercial dishwasher?
the frequency you want to run at a Scalar cycle is about once per month again this depends on your water hardness you will probably descale less often with soft water and more if you have hard water also you have to scale more if you have a high-temperature machine before washing dishes.
you want to drain out the descaler solution then fill back up with fresh water and then drain again to remove any residual.
- How To Install Whirlpool Dishwasher Step-By-Step
- How To Use Whirlpool Dishwasher Step-By-Step
- How To Install LG Dishwasher Step-By-Step
- How To Clean LG Dishwasher Step-By-Step
- How To Use LG Dishwasher Step-By-Step
Cleaning and descaling your commercial dishwasher will help it to clean your dishes properly and clearly, so we recommend to clean and descale your dishwasher each 1 month or less to remove and clean built up in your dishwasher which causes stock in your dishwasher that what means that your dishwasher won’t clean your dishes properly, using the guide how to clean a commercial dishwasher will help to clean and descale your commercial dishwasher easy.